Happy Hump Day & WIAW Summer Style!

by Eva @ Committed2Nutrition on August 8, 2012

Hey Everyone!! Half-way through the week :)

I am actually writing this on Tuesday night, after TWO intense Zumba classes, so bear with me, as the writing skillzzz may slack. Just sayin’.

Classes were awesome tonight….thanks, ladies and gentlemen!

I decided that since my meals really haven’t changed much since last week, I am going to post some of my favorite things I am eating right now, so I dunno let’s call them “summer staples”, and how about an awesome coconut chicken recipe I concocted Monday night? Okay.

Thank you to Jenn at Peas and Crayons for hosting!

First and foremost, I am obsessed with the lovely Trader Joe’s Oat Bran. I put it in a tupperware container with a 1/3 cup measuring spoon, since that is the serving size. This just makes it so much easier. And us health freaks can never have too much tupperware, yeah?

TJ’s oat bran makes the BEST Overnight Oats!

The next two items just go without saying. I HAVE TO HAVE them both every-single-day. If I don’t have both of these on any given day, something is wrong with me…watch out for weird Eva that day, ha. The Big Guy 0% Chobani and my beloved Unsweetened Original Almond Milk:

Next up: Unsweetened Cocnonut. 4 whole tablespoons only has 70 calories. Saaa-weeeet. See below (at the end) for the awesome coconut coated chicken I made Monday Night.

Favorite Favorite Kashi Granola Bar. At only 140 calories and several grams of protein & fiber, this is a very satisfying little bar.

2 spices I am loving and cannot go a day without..EVER. I put red pepper in EVERYTHING that is non-breakfast-y. Cinnamon is a staple when it comes to morning protein shakes, cereal, oatmeal, oatbran, overnight oats, etc.

Steamed Veggies in a bag are the greatest invention ever. I do eat an entire bag at one sitting, FYI. I can easily put the vegetables away & tend to eat a ridiculous amount when I cook meals at home :) hey, it works…

Ok, more carbs..sorry, but we all know I eat a lot of these to sustain my zumba cardio work-outs. But I love this cereal and reminds me of when I was little…KIX!!

My Keurig - I love to make coffee on the weekend. This machine is awesome. However, I do think I am going to buy a regular coffee pot, as well, so it is more cost-effective on weekends and use what’s left to make iced coffee. Thoughts?

Before I get into the chicken I made Monday, Nick got a huge box of some awesome ice packs, called Therapearl from a friend that he knows in the company (THANK YOU if you are reading this!!) We have so many I don’t even know what to do with them, ha. But can I just say these are GREAT!! It has been awesome using them on my poor thumb.

Recipe time! So the chicken I made on Monday really is so easy and I am so not creative, but since this blog documents a lot of what I eat and what food creations I come up with, I am going to share. So don’t judge how simple it really is! ;)

Simple Coconut Crusted Chicken

Ingredients:

• About 3/4 of a lb of thin sliced chicken breasts
  • A bowl of unsweetened coconut (I didn’t measure, just poured some into a bowl)
  • A bowl of egg whites – approx. 1/2 cup (in separate bowl)
  • Garlic powder
  • Black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • whatever-you-want-for-a-salad

Directions:

1. Place your raw chicken breasts in the egg whites and then roll into coconut shreddings
  2. Put about a tablespoon of coconut oil into a frying pan
  3. Place the coconut-coated chicken into the pan
  4. Sprinkle lots of garlic and black pepper onto them
  5. I am not sure how long to cook on each side as again, I suck at timing, but after 5 minutes or so, I flipped them..then flipped again. So maybe 10-12 minutes total?
  6. Then put over veggies or salad with as many veggies as you can stand in it :)

This came out so good! It was so simple, but the coconut added such a good flavor to the chicken. Will definitely be making this again!

Final Product:

Arugula & spinach salad with fresh basil leaves, cucumbers, tomato’s, mushrooms, blueberries, crushed red pepper, and some Trader Joe’s fat-free balsamic vinaigrette. I will definitely be making again and perfecting the coconut chicken even further, and as always, I am sure I will post about it ;)

OKAY so this was probably really boring to read. But this is real life and the things I am loving lately.

Question of the day – What are YOUR foods you just can’t go without on any given day?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 36 comments… read them below or add one }

Danielle (@CleanFoodCreativeFitness) August 8, 2012 at 8:29 am

That coconut chicken sounds amazing!!! I’m definitely going to try this one out! I love that unsweetened coconut! It’s actually my favorite brand of it! Every time I see your oat bran I am so jealous and want some then and there! I really need to try it! I love that you keep a measuring cup in the oat bran container! You are my kind of girl! Love it!

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 8, 2012 at 10:03 am

You are so sweet, Danielle!! I am now hooked on this brand of coconut..thank you whole foods, you did it again. lol. The chicken was just so easy to do.. but definitely pretty good. I am sure you will concoct something amazing ;) Do they have GF oat bran?? overnight oats are just TO DIE FOR!!!! lol, I have to have that measuring cup…I’m too OCD not to, haha! Great minds think alike!

IHeartVegetables August 8, 2012 at 9:28 am

My roommate just got a Keurig and it has changed our lives, haha. Ok maybe not our lives, but definitely our mornings ;) We did keep a big coffee pot for weekends though. Sometimes we just keep on drinking cup after cup!

Happy WIAW! xoxo

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 8, 2012 at 10:05 am

See, I knew I was on to something… big pot of coffee for the weekends just like you gals! Too easy to keep drinking cup after cup, and before I know it, I just paid $10 for a box of 12 cups that I could have made a full pot for like $.50. haha. Happy hump day, lady!

katalysthealth August 8, 2012 at 9:46 am

YUUM to that recipe!! It sounds absolutely amazing.
And I adore my kuerig. I even use it just for hot water for my oats. Its the perfect amount. I just let them soak it up a few minutes and boom, good to go!!
BTW, I use picmonkey for my picture editing! Its free, and super fun!

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 8, 2012 at 10:06 am

OMG I am so glad you told me about this! I never thought to use the hot water for oats.. I HATE how it comes out in the microwave. You are so smart. Picmonkey already seems awesome – I am wondering if I can use it with my mac???

healthcraved August 8, 2012 at 9:51 am

I’ve never tried Chobani but I’m really curious now..is the plain really tart? What do you eat it with? steamed veggies in a bag are one of my staples too! so quick, easy, and good for you! my other staples are apples, bananas, milk, oatmeal, and eggs! and lately lots and lots of NECTARINES! I’m obsessed

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 8, 2012 at 10:07 am

the plain is definitely tart.. i have to add a lot of things to see it – in my other blog posts I write about what I add to it: Truvia, oats, crunchy pb, blueberries, chia seeds, all mixed up.. it takes the tartness out! Love your staples!! nectarines seem so good, but would you believe I haven’t had one? HA!

forloveofcarrots August 8, 2012 at 10:47 am

plain greek yogurt is the way to go, I am not a fan of how much sugar is in the flavored greek yogurts! Sometimes I buy 2% and realize how much better it is, soo much more creamier!

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I am so with you.. the reason I avoid the flavored ones is because of the sugar, and unnecessar calories. I rather add fixin’s in that are healthy AND what I want. you can make the plain taste SO good! I MAYBE will eat the vanilla flavored as that one has the lease amount of sugar, but even still. Is the 2% really that much better?? I need to try it!!

forloveofcarrots August 8, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I promise you, you will notice the difference with 2%!

Rachel Elizabeth August 8, 2012 at 11:34 am

Kix! That was my favorite cereal as a kid!!

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Hey Rachel!! Thanks for stopping by! I freakin’ love kix after a whopping 2 full hours of teaching Zumba!! yum :)

jessielovestorun August 8, 2012 at 1:57 pm

It’s like you read my mind. Before I saw that you said the recipe was below I was immediately going to ask you how you made such a delicous sounding meal!! Cannot wait to try it out :)

Oh I can easily down a bag of broccoli in a day. It’s a regular in my lunches & dinners. Seriously can’t get enough of it!!

Have a great day girl!!

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Hi lil lady! def let me know if you try it out :)

Girl we are twins then. I can easily down vegetables like they are going out of style.. it’s kind of weird how much of them I can put down, ha! have a great day, too!!

jessielovestorun August 8, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Yay for blogging twins :-) wish we lived closer girl!

FitNjess August 8, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I am loving your take on the WIAW! So fun. And I wish I could take a zumba class from you!! Would be so fun.
Things I can’t seem to go without in a day- well now chobani since I just tried it haha, bananas, apples and cheese!!

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 8, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Jess I SO WISH you could take my Z class, too! it’s pretty bad ass if I don’t say so myself ;)

Love your staples – especially the chobani… once you start, you can’t stop! a true yogurt addiction. lol :)

healthinspirations August 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I really wish that I’d live in the US. All your food looks so good. I am always super jealous when I see people having lots of food from Whole Foods since we don’t get most of the stuff here in Europe! I’d love to try Kashi bars and Chobani Happy WIAW!

eva August 15, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Hey! Just realized I never commented on this. Europe doesn’t have a WF? oh man… you so need to petition that ;)

sprint2thetable August 8, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I’m with you – I cannot go without my Greek yogurt!

That recipe for coconut chicken look awesome. I want to try it with tofu!

sloanepitman August 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm

ohhh gosh trying that recipe with tofu is genius :)

Lisa August 8, 2012 at 3:53 pm

The coconut chicken sounds amazing! As you know I love me some coconut!!
I also love greek yogurt, full fat is my new jam! So creamy and delicious!

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 9, 2012 at 7:39 am

Yes I know you love your coconut ;) it’s TOO good and adds such good flavor to everything! Ya know, Cait suggested 2%… I really should try the more full fat versions… I am sure a little bit goes a long way, too, right?!

sloanepitman August 8, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Thank you so much for posting that coconut chicken recipe! I will for sure be trying it. My daily staples are almost the same as yours! I can’t remember a day when I didn’t have both greek yogurt AND unsweetened almond milk. Morning coffee and bedtime tea are my other 2 staples–which is why I’m DYING for a keurig. Its the only thing on my birthday list ha! Happy Wednesday :)

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 9, 2012 at 7:40 am

Hey lady!! Let me know how you like it when you try it! greek yogurt and almond milk are every bloggers dream, it seems, ha. Keurig is awesome – but definitely get can expensive. It is a great birthday gift though! Happy THURSDAY!!

Sara @ sarasmiles August 8, 2012 at 9:12 pm

That coconut chicken looks amazing! I will HAVE to try that now that coconut is a newfound love of mine. I don’t think I have recently gone a day without nut butter of some kind and 0% fage yogurt. Guess I am a Fage girl; I like it because it is thicker than other greek yogurts. But cereal is by far my favorite food group. During an ice breaker in college when we had to go around and say one thing about ourselves, I replied “I really like cereal.” Crickets ensued…

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 9, 2012 at 7:42 am

Hey Sara!! Definitely try it and let me know what you think – so easy to do. I do like Fage, but since Chobani is cheaper I admittedly buy that one… ha. CEREAL?! Omg don’t even get me started… after I teach zumba all I want is a ginormous bowl of cereal. and I literally just LOL’d about your “I really like cereal” comment, hahaha!! I have to say, reading your blog, you have an awesome sense of humor and it totally shows through the writing – LOVE IT!

Debi August 9, 2012 at 7:07 am

EVA!!! Hiiii! Missed my zumba fix last night, hoping to make it later. I have been loving your blog and you are inspiring me to get cooking, I am so lazy when it comes to food prep but I need to try some of your recipies!
I am also a huge oatmeal fan, have been since I was a kid and thru the winter its all I eat for breakfast but right now i am addicted to plain yogurt with granola and I love that my kids love it too, even tho they add a little honey to theirs :) I will have to try your overnight oats!
As for the coffee thing, I dislike the keurig. Everything in my life needs to be on a budget and that just doesn`t fit (even though I actually only drink one cup a day!) I own a one cup coffee maker that I got from Brookstone, it was actually a birthday gift at least 5 years ago and is still going strong! It comes with a travel mug so you can make it to go but i love that its cost effective and you still get a fresh cuppa every time! I also froth my milk with an aero latte, its delicious, something about frothy milk that is just so much better. They sell for $2 in ikea, I recommend everyone try it!!!

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 9, 2012 at 7:44 am

Hey Debi!!! Hope to see you today at Zumba! I am so glad you like the blog and it is inspiring you to cook more..that is what I am here for :) Yogurt and granola sounds great, and honey is actually OK! Overnight oats are a whole other experience…get ready….hehe. I can’t believe I just started doing this last week.

So yeah, the Keurig is definitely NOT cost effective, which is why I am going to have that PLUS a real coffee maker when I move to my new place sept. 1st. I want a FULL POT sometimes!! frothy milk? yes please… totally getting one of those, too. I have been dying to make almond milk latte’s :)

yourtrainerpaige August 9, 2012 at 10:13 am

Sounds yummy! I almost made coconut shrimp last night before going with the chipotle lime flavor.

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 9, 2012 at 10:15 am

OHHH chipotle lime!! please tell me you are going to post about this!!

Beanie Bumbles August 9, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I WILL be making that coconut chicken yum! Awesome staples list. I didn’t have Greek yogurt yesterday and the quality of my day was seriously reduced. LOVE!

Eva @ committed2nutrition August 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm

LOL you crack me up! This chicken was so easy I almost felt stupid for posting it, LOL! Let me know how it comes out!

PavementRunner August 10, 2012 at 1:42 am

Great job… and OMG. You totally eat Kix. Love it. I’m not gonna lie, every once and awhile I will buy Fruity Pebbles or Apple Jacks… but I miss the original Apple Jacks that were just the pink circles. Now they have all different kinds. Sorry, I just made this comment all about cereal. Your dinner looked yummy. There, now it’s about TWO things.

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition August 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Hey you! Just realized I never commented..this new design has been me all over the place! LOVE apple jacks.. I so need to get those, now that you remind me! I love when they get soggy in the milk :)