WIAW – Crock Pot Chicken my way

by Eva @ Committed2Nutrition on October 3, 2012

Wednesday already? Or is it just me thinking this week is going by?

Last night was Double Zumba, and boy am I BEAT. I have added a Monday Zumba Class so that brings my total to FIVE classes a week right now. No bueno. Not good for my body or how hard it is to keep up caloric wise. After next week, I have given up my 2nd Tuesday class, so going forward it is back to 4. Phew. I hate to do that but it was just time. Breaks.my.heart.

Thanks to Jenn at Peas and Crayons for hosting the infamous WIAW (What I ate Wednesday).

Speaking of Breast Cancer and Zumba…..

**MASTER CLASS OCTOBER 26th to raise money for the William Raveis Breast Cancer Research Fund!**

Details are as follows:

Tickets can be bought online at this link: Anna, Alejandra, and Eva’s Master Class

Ok enough Zumba.

I really eat sorta boring so I don’t wanna bore you all with daily meals all day long. That gets tedious, and I honestly don’t have the time to take that many pictures of my food OR edit them all come blog post writing time.

Instead, I made an awesome chicken crock pot recipe I wanted to share.

Eva’s Crock Pot Chicken

Ingredients:

• 1 lb chicken breasts (I used frozen)
  • 2 24 oz containers of low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 medium red onion
  • 3 packets of low sodium chicken bouillon (but felt I should have used 4)
  • LOTS of garlic powder (I didn’t measure)
  • At least 2 TBSP of Trader Joe’s 21 salute seasoning

Since I made this on Saturday I am sure I am missing some things, so wanted to be honest about that. I basically threw chicken in a crock pot with spices, chicken broth, and an onion, since that is what I had on hand. Easy enough.

Directions:

THROW EVERYTHING IN CROCK POT! So simple. I had it on high for 4 hours, then switched to low for at least another 4 hours/until it was time for Nick and I to eat. I am sure just having it on low all day would have worked, too?

This smelled up the whole apartment… in a good way, of course! We could even smell it from the apartment hallway, ha.

Verdict: A+ from Nick. Have I said how PICKY he is? Well he really enjoyed this, so that says a lot.

This will also have a lot of broth left over. We ate this with rice and veggies so we smothered our plates with lots of extra broth. Nick added salt which I highly recommend. Growing up my mother never cooked with salt so I am very sensitive to it’s taste and honestly don’t like it, so I don’t add it when I cook, but I tell everyone who eats my food that they should add it to get some more flavor.

Instead of salt, I added a lot of black pepper and crushed red pepper on top of mine. Can’t wait to try more recipe’s in the Crock Pot!

Questions:

- Are you a salt eater? Do you cook with it or add it after or both?

- What is your favorite crock pot recipe? feel free to post links!

- Are you coming to my MASTER ZUMBA CLASS?!

Hope everyone is having a great Wednesday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 37 comments… read them below or add one }

Darlene October 3, 2012 at 8:26 am

Love your website and love your recipes . I am going to make the crock pot chicken one thanks for sharing them. :)

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:16 am

Thanks so much, Darlene!! Let me know if you make this!

Kat October 3, 2012 at 9:16 am

Isnt the crockpot the best invention? I seriously adore mine.And since Ive discovered sea salt, I use it on EVERYTHING. Even in my oats. I love the sweet/salty combo!
My go to crockpot recipe is enchilada chicken. Chicken breasts, enchilada sauce, chili powder, cumin, sea salt, chopped onion and bell pepper and cheese!!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:17 am

Hey Kat! It really is. I actually do have sea salt, but haven’t used it much. Does your body handle it the same way as sodium? I should google that, ha.

Enchilada chicken is awesome – I feel like you can just throw in anything and it’s good.. thanks for reminding me!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 3, 2012 at 10:06 am

I have to really watch my salt on my diet… it’s funny how sensitive to it I am now that I’ve cut it out of my diet!

Winter always gives me crockpot envy. *sigh*

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:18 am

I bet you have to watch it w/ the competition… my old roommate actually would add salt to EVERYTHING, she said that was part of her plan?!

Alex @ therunwithin October 3, 2012 at 10:44 am

that looks good, I have yet to use my crock pot. I fear leaving it on all day!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:19 am

HA Alex, I have yet to leave it on when I am at work…so I kinda have the same fear. hence why this was made on a saturday :)

Rachel October 3, 2012 at 11:08 am

I actually just told my mom I want a crock pot when I move out haha I’ve heard it’s handy for steel cut oats and stuff haha

I’m actually not a salt eater, I’m trying to because my Doc said my levels were really low haha but I keep forgetting! lol

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:20 am

OH yes you can def do steel cut oats.. I have yet to do that, but maybe one of these days.. another thing on my “to-do list”.

Hmm, Rach, that is interesting on salt.. I bet you anything my dr tells me the same thing when I go the 17th!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness October 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm

That chicken looks amazing! I don’t have a crock pot currently but it’s definitely on my list of things to get! It always seems so simple! If I were closer I would totally be at your master class! Sounds awesome!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:21 am

Danielle you need this! I can only imagine the recipe’s you come up with since all of yours are AWESOME. You are not that far lady…come shake it CT style ;)

Eating 4 Balance October 3, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I don’t ever add salt to my food. Unless I am getting grilled chicken from a restaurant I go salt-free. I even use sodium-free baking powder. Ha. There isn’t a real reason for this except I get freaked out by all of those articles on people who eat too much sodium, get sick or gain weight.

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:22 am

Yes exactly – restaurant eating I obviously cannot control, and I know it’s laden with salt. HA i didn’t even know there was salt in baking powder! Guess I will now be on the hunt for salt-free! Like you, I just never ate it growing up, so why start now? and yes, it can retain water, etc. and all that jazz.

Heather @ Run Eat Play October 3, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Hi, I just found your blog – can’t wait to read more! I just went to my third Zumba class yesterday! I’m not great at it, but it sure is fun!!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 3, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I am so glad you found me :) going to go check out your blog, too!

So glad you are on your 4th now zumba class ;) Doesn’t it get better the more you do it?! I try to tell my new students that… after a few classes it won’t be as “hard”. Any fav songs?!

Heather @ Run Eat Play October 4, 2012 at 7:52 am

I really like dancing to the Drive By song by Train!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:25 am

oh ya know, I have never done that song in zumba. I will post tonight’s playlist on the blog sometime in the next day or two and let me know what you think!

Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots October 3, 2012 at 4:56 pm

god I love my crockpot, last night we had bbq pulled chicken thanks to putting chicken and bbq sauce in the pot in the morning and shredding when we were ready to eat. I add salt to my eggs usually and if it needs it to food after I have tasted it. I have a friend who adds salt before she even tastes her food, I learned waitressing that that is a huge insult to the chef!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:28 am

Nick is hounding me to make BBQ chicken…YUM. Love when it just falls apart!

OH yes I have heard that it is an insult to the chef. you should see my father, it looks like his steak has snow on it, that’s how much salt he adds. gross!

Brenda @ Losing it Little By Little October 3, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I totally LOVE my crockpot! Remind me to give you some really good recipes… :)

I am so anti-salt that I even rub the salt off my pretzels! It’s really rare that I add salt to anything. The stew I made the other night needed it though – I used water instead of stock and it really needed more flavor. Oh well – lesson learned!

I can’t wait for master class! I’ve really been missing Zumba since I got sick, and I can’t go tomorrow night because I have a board meeting until probably 10 pm. Ugh. Next week I will be back to my usual Zumba Queen self! :)

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:30 am

Hi lady! I hope you are feeling better! take it easy and get lots of rest.

I can’t wait for your recipe’s – I love everything you have given me so far. and it’s funny because I do the same thing w/ pretzels – I take the salt off. I just don’t like it! but I can def see that using water instead of stock you would need some salt for a little flavor.

Master class is going to be awesome! Next week you are back at it with me :)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 3, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Gosh do I LOVE crockpots and this is another recipe to add to the recipes to try :)

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:31 am

Let me know if you try it, Tessa..can’t go wrong and makes tons of leftovers, on top of making the house smell so good :)

Linz @ Itz Linz October 3, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I LOVE my crockpot!! Throw tons of stuff in, turn it on, and boom dinner is cooked when you walk through the door! My go-to is usually frozen chicken, a bag of beans, chicken or vegetable broth, onion, salsa, and tons of veggies!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:32 am

Right?!! You can really just throw anything and everything in there. I like your style, linz! SO many leftovers, too!

Jessie October 4, 2012 at 12:38 am

Loving this recipe girl! Sounds delicious.

I never use salt when I cook/bake.. and I wish I could come, but it may be a bit hard :(

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 4, 2012 at 9:32 am

I think for baking a tiny bit of salt brings out the sweetness? but I hate using it. ha. i’m weird.

I know you are just a bit tooooo far, one day :)

Allie October 4, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Crockpots are amazing. I don’t know why everything isn’t cooked in a crockpot, because “Throw stuff in there and leave it for awhile” is pretty much as complex as it gets. And then your house gets to smell amazing all day, not just the usual few minutes it takes to cook. I don’t even have a recipe to share, because it’s usually just what veggies were on sale at the grocery store + grain + protein + whatever spice I’m in the mood for/have in my cabinets. Thanks for giving the crock some love ;D

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 5, 2012 at 10:01 am

Hey Allie! I just LOL’d literally at this..because you are SO RIGHT! I also admit I just throw random things together, that is how this chicken one came together, ha.

Jess October 4, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Crockpot recipes are the best! I admitt, I am horrible with adding salt..I just love it so much and I know I use too much of it!! It is my vice..haha I guess we all have our faults!!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 5, 2012 at 10:05 am

HA you are right jess, we all have our things! with all the zumba I do, I prob should add more salt, but I do eat out A LOT so I figured that makes up for it!

Debi October 4, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I have 2 crockpots and I never use either of them! I should. I also have an email saved from forever ago with loads of recipies so will see if I can find it and send it to you!
I have my wristband for the master class, can`t wait. Also not so bummed about Tuesdays now that I know who is taking over ;)

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 5, 2012 at 10:05 am

Hey Debi – thanks so much for the email. It really is just so easy to throw in everything and anything and it comes out pretty good :)

Glad you are coming!! We cannot wait!

Katie October 5, 2012 at 9:47 am

Pulled pork in the crockpot is life-changing! So unbelievably moist and succulent: http://katieept.com/2012/01/06/pulled-pork-lunch-new-flats-and-a-run/
Your master Zumba class looks like fun! Wish I could attend :) Good luck!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 5, 2012 at 10:06 am

Hey Katie! Thanks so much for the recipe.. sooo will be making this. Me and boyfriend love pulled pork!!

I wish you could attend, too.. one day.. haha

Sara @ sarasmiles October 8, 2012 at 7:48 am

I just broke out my crock pot for the first time yesterday…it’s also the first time I’ve cooked with a crock pot EVER. I love it. I made some pumpkin chili (with tempeh). Recipe coming soon!

I wish I could attend your master Zumba class. It looks like so much fun