W.I.A.W – Fall Crock Pot Deliciousness

by Eva @ Committed2Nutrition on October 10, 2012

Hey there, friends!

I have had the craziest weekend and this week in itself doesn’t stop. Can’t stop, won’t stop, ya know?

I love joining in on WIAW, but when I do it, it’s not always my meals. Last week is was Crock Pot Chicken, and this week I made Pork, and boy was it good! Loving me some Fall Crock Pot Recipe’s. Thanks to Jenn at Peas and Crayons for hosting this weekly.

First things first, I had to say goodbye to my Norwalk LA Fitness 8 pm Zumba Class. In adding in a new Monday class, that made it 5 classes per week. I just can’t do 5. 4, yes, but not 5. Since I already teach a Tuesday class at 6:30, the 8pm one made sense to drop. Plus I am really trying to build up the studios I teach on Monday’s and Tuesday’s since you do not have to be members there, and can “pay-as-you-go” kind of thing. LOCAL READERS – feel free to contact me with info regarding these classes.

Don’t worry LA, I am still teaching the Thursday class at 5:45 and also will be in Stamford on Saturday’s.

*Great class last night, everyone!*

I am also eating pumpkin-oatbran-greek yogurt-peanutbutter concoctions every single morning. It is just so good and let’s be honest, we are all on pumpkin kicks lately! I have been going through about 4 cans a week, because who just eats 1/2 cup at one sitting? I can eat almost the entire can! ha.

I love how filling it is and how it overflows the bowl. Yum.

Ok now onto a recipe…

CROCK POT PORK

I got this idea from my Italian Mama. Growing up she always made chicken or pork in a red sauce, and it was so good. Ya know, the kind of meat that would just “fall apart” as you ate it. Yep, that’s exactly how mine came out in this recipe. I was not disappointed, and happy I closely recreated what my Mama has made before.

Ingredients:

• 1lb thin slice pork chops
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 large cans of crushed tomato’s (I used unsalted)
  • Lots of spices thrown in: trader joe’s 21 salute, garlic, italian seasoning, basil
  • Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper when finished

Directions:

This is so easy – chop onion, and throw everything together in the crock pot. I did this Monday afternoon, so I set it on high for just about 4 hours. I would imagine you could do low for 8 hours, too.

Verdict:

VERY GOOD. Nick also really liked this, and when he likes something, it means I’ve actually done a decent job because he is ridiculously picky. Like I said, the pork was so tender and just would fall apart as you ate it.

I served mine with a side salad or arugula since we all know I can’t get enough of it.

Lots of grated parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper on top.

Who is loving their crock pot lately? This household can’t get enough, and I just love how easy everything is. “Set it and forget it” – haha, I had to.

Ok I am off to work – busy busy bee.

Questions:

Have you ever had to give up a fitness class you were teaching? How come?

How many cans of pumpkin are YOU going through a week?

Favorite fall comfort food?

Stay tuned to C2N guys, I have some fun things I want to write about here soon, once I get get in just a tad more time to write.

Have a great day and happy WIAW!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 35 comments… read them below or add one }

Linz @ Itz Linz October 10, 2012 at 8:04 am

I’ve never cooked pork before but I think I can handle crockpot recipes! Plus Jonny loves pork so I’ll have to give this a go!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Oh Linz you so have to try it especially since Jonny loves it…let me know when you do!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 10, 2012 at 8:46 am

I’m working on about a can a week but as soon as they are on sale and I can stock up that will increase!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 10, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Ya know, these little cans really are expensive! Paying $1.99 EACH one. boo!

Kat October 10, 2012 at 9:30 am

Another great crockpot recipe!!
Ive been doing ok so far with the pumpkin, but once the weather turns colder I have a feeling it will be in my oats every morning :)

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Thanks! Can’t get enough of this thing.

I almost went for blueberries this morning, but NOPE, pumpkin… ha!

Darlene October 10, 2012 at 9:30 am

Love your recipes and this one from your mom sounds so good i have to try it. Keep them comming lol. love your website . have a nice day eva :)

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 10, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Thanks so much, Darlene! This was definitely from Shubs! Let me know if you try and glad you like the site!

Rachel October 10, 2012 at 10:53 am

I’m actually not going through as many pumpkin cans as I should lol gotta get on that!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm

haha, yes, Rachel, get on that… makes oatmeal so so good!

Alex @ therunwithin October 10, 2012 at 11:27 am

oh man that looks good, pumpkin in a can is so convenient!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 10, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Thanks, Alex. Oh I know, these cans rock, too bad they are kind of expensive now that I think about it!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness October 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm

This looks so good! I’m definitely going through at least 1-2 cans of pumpkin per week! Nothing wrong with a pumpkin obsession ;)

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 10, 2012 at 2:43 pm

agreed- nothing wrong with it! pumpkin pancakes and oatmeal is where it’s at :)

Annette@FitnessPerks October 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I had to give up a Monday night Zumba and Thur night Zumba….at different times in my life–just because it was NOT working for me & my health/relationship with my hubby! And my training for a Half IM :)

Yay for crock pot meals!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 10, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I hear you Annette..and pretty much the same thing here. I had to give up a class to also make more time with Nick. Even down to teaching 4 now, I still may have to give up another one. AH!! plus, I just got contacted by ANOTHER gym to see if I could do some sort of class with them.. it’s just so hard to say no but at the same time, I really gotta make sure I’m doing the right things health wise, too! how many classes in total (including body pump) do you teach per week?

Natalie @ Free Range Human October 10, 2012 at 3:40 pm

My favorite fall comfort food is definitely chili. I look forward to it all year!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 11, 2012 at 9:05 am

Hey Natalie! Chilli ROCKS… making that soon!

Chelsea @ahintofhealthy October 10, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I swear I have gone through a ton of pumpkin this week!!! I am obsessed! Your crockpot meal looks delicious :)

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 11, 2012 at 9:12 am

Hey Chelsea! I am right there with you, sista. 1 can every 1-2 days..its kind of ridiculous. Hope you are having a great week!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 10, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I have never taught a exercise class before but I think it’s great that you are listening to your needs lady! I have said this before but I would LOVE to go to one of your Zumba classes, I know I would have a blast!
Great use of the Crockpot too Eva, ’tis the season to bust it out :)

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 11, 2012 at 9:06 am

Hey Tessa!! I so wish you could come to one of my Z classes, too! If I ever do a guest class in Boston you need to come :) and likewise, dear, glad you are also listening to yourself! thats key with almost EVERYTHING in life, ya know?

Eating 4 Balance October 10, 2012 at 10:16 pm

So glad someone is just as obsessed with pumpkin as I am! I seriously just opened a small jar this morning and finished it before supper :( The same thing happened yesterday too! And now I am all out and have to wait until the weekend to get more!! How will I ever survive? At that rate I would be using 7 a week. But normally it is like 3.

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 11, 2012 at 9:07 am

HA, I am glad I am not the only one who could actually polish off a can in ONE day. I do this all the time. I wish they were like 50 cents a can… sigh.

Jessie October 11, 2012 at 12:39 am

Love pork in the crockpot.. and this recipe sounds fantastic!! I hope you are having the most wonderful week girl xo

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 11, 2012 at 9:07 am

Thanks, Jessie!! Love when it just falls apart..mmm… Hope you are also having a great week pretty lady!

Austin October 11, 2012 at 1:42 am

This recipe looks fantastic! I just got started eating pork again recently, but don’t really know what to do with it. If I can find some pork chops on sale then I will try this! I like a lit of things cooked in tomato sauce.

I’ve been making my own pumpkin puree in my food mill from sugar pie pumpkins. So far I’ve had 2 pumpkins. I made them both into pies. Yum!

I’m pretty much enjoying anything out of the oven for fall comfort foods: roast vegetables, baked yams, crustless pies, bread and crackers.

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 11, 2012 at 9:09 am

Hey Austin – definitely let me know if you try this. The pork comes out so tender. You cannot go wrong w/ anything in tomato sauce, but maybe thats my italian background speaking.

How do you make your own pumpkin puree? I bet that is so much more cost effective. I just am lazy, ha.

And crustless pies?? please share some recipes!

Austin October 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Hi Eva!

I definitely will let you know if/when I try this. I looked at the price for organic pork chops at the store yesterday and they were $9.00/lb. That’s out of my price range! Next time I’m there I’ll look to see if there is a cheaper cut. Otherwise I’ll just have to wait it out for a sale.

That’s so cool that your Italian heritage has influenced your taste and cooking! I don’t have any connection to my ancestry like that. But, yeah I don’t think you can go wrong with tomato either! So good! And my daughter will eat all of something she normally doesn’t like if it’s cooked in tomato. I recently found out that tomatoes have high levels of naturally occurring MSG. So they make us want more and enhance taste!

Making pumpkin puree is easy and more cost effective. It also has better nutrition and I think it tastes better! The worst part for me is washing the food mill, but if I do it right away the pumpkin rinses right off and then it’s easy. Anyway, to make home made pumpkin puree you start with a small baking pumpkin called a sugar pie pumpkin. The ones I get are around 4-5 pounds and that is enough pumpkin for 1 pie. With a serrated knife, cut the top off the pumpkin like you would when making a jack-o-lantern. Scoop out the seeds and pulpy insides. I save the seeds and roast them in the oven with coconut oil, salt and cinnamon for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. When the insides are scooped out of your pumpkin, put the top back on the pumpkin and put it in an uncovered baking dish. Bake the pumpkin at 350 degrees for and hour and a half. After thevpumpkin is baked, scoop the flesh out and put it in your food mill or food processor and grind/blend away! Then you’ll have your own home made pumpkin puree! It is so good!

I am obsessed with crustless pies this fall. The filling is my favorite part of the pie and without a crust to fill me up, I can eat more of the stuff I like! Here are the 2 I’ve been doing:

Pumpkin – Combine pumpkin puree with 2 whisked eggs, 2 cups home made coconut milk* and pumpkin pie spice (I use 1 Tbs cinnamon and 1 tsp ginger). Grease a pie dish with coconut oil and then pour in the pie filling. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Then turn down the oven temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 45 minutes. Let the pie cool completely before cutting and serving. This pie is not very sweet so you might want to add sugar to the filling before baking. I’ve been sugar free for a long time now and my taste buds are used to it. I like how you can really taste the pumpkin and the spices.
*home made coconut milk: Pour 2 cups of boiling water over 1 cup dried unsweetened coconut flakes in a bowl. Let the coconut steep in the water until the water cools down. The hot water draws the coconut milk out of the flakes. Then strain the coconut flakes out of the milk and you have home made coconut milk. You can throw away the coconut flakes or save them for baking, but they have practically zero flavor left in them.

Baked apple: Peel, slice and core 4-6 large apples. Cut the apple slices into 1″ pieces. Stir 2-3 Tbs of coconut oil and 1 tsp or more of ground cinnamon into the apples until they are evenly coated with the oil and cinnamon. Grease a covered baking dish with coconut oil and then add the cut up apples. Cover the dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

:). Happy Friday!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 14, 2012 at 9:12 am

WOW Austin..THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!

Austin October 16, 2012 at 12:30 pm

You’re welcome! Thank you for saying thank you! I’m pretty passionate about food and cooking and I love sharing and trading recipes! :-)

Court Star @ StarSystemz October 11, 2012 at 3:31 am

I just bought my very first can and am ready to crack it open I just need some recipes that look easy for me or maybe now that i have some time I can try out some I have been thinking about! I am loving your crock pot recipes they all look so tasty! My favorite fall comfort food are those Pillsburry Doughboy Pumpkin Cookies (so sinful yet so TASTY) and I will only indulge one time because I can literally eat the entire can Love and Shine CourtStar

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 11, 2012 at 9:11 am

Hey lady! Let me know what you end up trying.. pumpkin is so versatile and can go in so many things. Obivously my favorite is oatmeal/oatbran conconctions.

OHHH I have not had those cookies… I can imagine eating the whole can in one sitting is easy to do.. I’ve been known to do that before, ha!

luv what you do October 13, 2012 at 10:41 am

Chili is my favorite comfort food. I love throwing the ingredients into the crockpot Sunday morning and having dinner ready for the football game!

Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 14, 2012 at 9:12 am

Exactly!! best way :) might as well go turn mine on now.. ha